- The second show in the pre-recorded series from the late nineties, John Peel's Classic Sessions.
- John Peel presents a selection of BBC session tracks by artists he considers to have "articulated the frustrations of their contemporaries".
- The Buzzcocks recall their radio sessions.
- Bill Bebb remembers Jimi Hendrix sessions.
- Peel considers Wah!'s You'll Never Walk Alone as the best cover version of the song.
- All tracks are from sessions
(recording dates in brackets)
- File 1 begins at start of show
- Inspiral Carpets: Out Of Time (23/3/89)
- Slits: Shoplifting (19/9/77)
- Billy Bragg: Between The Wars (18/9/84)
- Elvis Costello: Less Than Zero (25/7/77)
- Buzzcocks: What Do I Get? (7/9/77)
- Sham 69: Hey Little Rich Boy (28/11/77)
- Smiths: Still Ill (14/9/83)
- Nirvana: Molly's Lips (21/10/90)
- Jimi Hendrix: Spanish Castle Magic (15/12/67)
- Pulp: Common People (9/9/94)
- File 1 ends and File 2 begins
- Joy Division: Love Will Tear Us Apart (26/11/79)
- Farm: No Man's Land (17/4/83)
- Huggy Bear: Untitled (16/5/93)
- Bikini Kill: New Radio (28/3/93)
- Housemartins: Happy Hour (6/4/86)
- The Jam: Modern World (26/4/77)
- UB40: I Won't Close My Eyes (9/1/82)
- Wah! Heat: You'll Never Walk Alone (5/5/82)
- File 2 ends at end of show
- 1) Classic Sessions 1 July 1996 part 1.mp3
- 2) John Peel's Classic Sessions 1 July 1996 part 2.mp3
- 3) 020A-H07407XXXXXX-0200A0.mp3
- 1) 36:44
- 2) 23:23
- 3) 1:00:38
- 1-2) Many thanks to Clare
- 3) Recordings at the British Library