- Incomplete show, but only around the last 15 minutes is not available.
- A listener has been sent Peel a birthday present of an album by Ken Nordine on the basis that it’s the worst LP he’s ever heard. Peel plays a track.
- First play from the debut Au Pairs three-track single.
- Run of three Australian bands, from the Manikins to Whirlywirld. Three more promised for the next evening.
- Purple Hearts #1. Repeat of one and only session, recorded 10-7-1979 and first broadcast 16 July 1979.
- Pragvec #3. Repeat of session first broadcast 01 August 1979.
(Please add details of any commercial release of these sessions)
- JP: "For those of you who've missed tonight's football results, Liverpool managed to beat mighty Tranmere Rovers. They got 4-0 actually, it was not too bad I suppose, under the circumstances, but both Arsenal and Palace got seven, so Walters, holidaying in the Isle of Wight, will be jolly pleased about that, as a Palace supporter."
- Quads: You Gotta Jive (b-side 'There Must Be Thousands' 7") Big Bear
- Burning Spear: Throw Down Your Arms (LP - Harder Than The Best) Island
- Revillos: Where's The Boy For Me? (7") Snatzo
- Purple Hearts: Frustration (session) (continues after tape change)
- Loudon Wainwright III: Down Drinking At The Bar (LP – A Live One) Radar
- JP had some records stolen at the Reading festival: “What makes it even more irritating is I know who took them.”
- Members: Killing Time (single) Virgin
- Pragvec: Third Person (session)
- Rudi: I-Spy (EP) Good Vibrations
- Billy Boy Arnold: Catfish (EP – Superharps) Red Lightnin’ (Wrong Speed Moment)
- Ken Nordine: Blue (LP – Colors: A Sensuous Listening Experience)
- Au Pairs: Domestic Departure (7” - You) 021
- Basil Lambert & Massagana: One Love (single) Spice
- Purple Hearts: Nothing Is Left (session)
- Slits: So Tough (LP – Cut) Island
- Fire Exit: Time Wall (single) Timebomb
- Damned: New Rose (single) Stiff
- Pragvec: By The Sea (session)
- Talking Heads: Mind (LP – Fear Of Music) Sire (continues after change of tape)
- Paul Blackman: Earth Wind and Fire (single) Daddy Kool
- Freeze: For JPS (With Love And Loathing) (EP – In Colour) A1
- Purple Hearts: Beat That (session)
- Siouxsie & The Banshees: Regal Zone (LP – Join Hands) Polydor
- Manikins: Premonition (single) self-released
- Leftovers: Cigarettes And Alcohol (single) Punji Stick
- Whirlywirld: Moto (single) Missing Link
- UK Subs: IOD (LP – Another Kind Of Blues) GEM / RCA
- Pragvec: Rural Erotic (session)
- Rockers All-Stars: I & I (LP – In The Light Dub) Hungry Town
- Purple Hearts: Millions Like Us (session)
- Transmitters: The One That Won The War / Free Trade (12” single) Step Forward
- Laughing Gass: New Tart (single) Wessex (tape cuts out)
- (1) John Peel 1979-09-04 start.mp3
- (2) 141-790904a-b
- (3) 142-790904c-d
- (1) 10:10
- (2) 46.02
- (3) 51.36
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.