- (k) Last night while looking for something else entirely I found a small box of off air tapes of Peel shows from 79-80 which an old friend gave me back in 92 ... And this was the first one out of the box:100 minutes on an Agfa C90, first 20 mins or so missing, as is very end. Quality is pretty rough, and I had to do all kinds of flipping and doubling (right channel/track-only for much of it) when ripping, and the last ten minutes seemed to disappear all together, but still, it's an atmospheric show of its time, with loads of reggae and rambling Peel links.
- The last ten minutes or so of the above recording are from another show or shows. Peel's comment that the then current Madness single was #10 in the charts suggests this may be from late April 1980 (chart link).
- 400 Box recording now presents an almost complete copy of the show, minus some tape flips. The recording stops during the last track in the show.
- Peel mentions that the last time he'd seen The Beat live was in Guildford. Requests are still pending from a Birmingham University gig the previous weekend.
- Peel is also pleased to see that the Beat are in that week's singles chart at 31 with 'Tears of a Clown' / 'Ranking Full Stop'.
- Wirral band Attempted Moustache featured two future members of Half Man Half Biscuit.
- Full tracklisting also available at John Peel Papers. Many thanks to the uploader to the John Peel Papers at Facebook for sharing the information.
- Funboy Five #1 Repeat of only session. First broadcast 01 October 1979. Recorded 1979-09-19. No known commercial release.
- JP: "To start the programme for about the third night in a row I think, the Clash:"
- JP: "This is the number 34 record in the new BBC charts."
- Motorhead: Bomber (7") Bronze
- Funboy Five: Haircut Bob Dylan 66 (session)
- Wasted Lives: Wirehead (LP – Vancouver Compilation) Pinned Records
- Fall: Printhead (LP – Dragnet) Step-Forward
- Specials: Too Hot (LP - Specials) Two-Tone
- Flowers: (Life) After Dark (7") Pop Aural (tape flip during 400 box version)
- Jane Kennaway: Celia (7") DinDisc
- British Standard Unit: D'Ya Think I'm Sexy (LP - Hybrid Kids - A Collection Of Classic Mutants) Cherry Red
(Ken's tape starts here, 30 mins in)
- Mikey Dread: Pre-Dawn Dub / Operator's Choice (LP – African Anthem (The Mikey Dread Show Dubwise)) Cruise
- Funboy Five: Compulsive Eater (session)
- Afflicted: Be Aware (7” - I’m Afflicted) Bonk
- Prince Buster: Whine & Grine (12” single) Blue Beat
- Public Image Ltd: Graveyard (3x12” – Metal Box) Virgin
- Don Armando's Second Avenue Rhumba Band: I'm An Indian Too (single) ZE
- Lines: On The Air (single) Red
- Johnny & The Jammers: School Day Blues (single) Big Beat
- Clash: Four Horsemen (2xLP – London Calling) CBS
- Five Hand Reel: I'll Lay You Down (LP – A Bunch of Fives) Topic (tape flip during 400 box version)
- Funboy Five: Bleached Roots Of Surf (session)
- Mekons: Trevira Trousers (LP – The Quality Of Mercy Is Not Strnen) Virgin
- Passions: Body And Soul (7” – Needles And Pins) Soho
- Simple Minds: Changling (LP – Real To Real Cacophony) Arista
- David Sebastian: You're Number One (single) Noel
- Attempted Moustache: You're The One (EP – The Blank Tapes, Volume 1) Skeleton
- Max Romeo: Public Enemy No. 1 (single, 1972) Camel
- Midnight Rags: Public Enemy (maxi-single) Ace
- The Wig: Crackin' Up (LP – Pebbles, Volume 1) BFD
- Funboy Five: Life After Death (session)
- Clash: Revolution Rock (2xLP – London Calling) CBS
- Vapors: Prisoners (single) United Artists
- Stiff Little Fingers: Here We Are Nowhere (LP - Inflammable Material) Rough Trade
- Greedies: A Merry Jingle (7") Vertigo (cuts out before end)
(Ken's version ends after the Vapors track and there is a subsequent noticeable dip in audio quality. Tracks below are from a later show, most likely April 1980.)
- Neonbabies: I Don't Want To Loose You (EP) Resco
- Madness: Deceives The Eye (single – Night Boat To Cairo b-side) Stiff
- Nurses: Hearts (single) Round Raoul
- Peel 1979-12-11 Fun Boy Five (rpt)
- John Peel 1979-12-11
- 1) 1.38.38
- 2) 1:57.31
- Current recording shared via Peel Mailing List. Many thanks to K. Please address any re-up requests to the Peel Mailing List.
- File created from T193 and T194 of 400 Box and digitised by Dr_Mango.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.