- (Jim) "I got this in trade back in the day and it's either the master or first gen copy. I traded tapes a lot in those days & if someone wanted something in trade from the UK I would usually just ask them to tape the next John Peel show for me."
- (Jim) "Session guests include Oil Seed Rape (1st session) and PJ Harvey (3rd session). John also premiers the new Fall single 'Why Are People Grudgeful?' and generally appears to be having a grand old time. It's thanks to this recording I discovered The Nectarine No 9 LP 'A Sea With Three Stars', which is one of my favorite discoveries. Hope you enjoy this recording as much as I do."
- JP saw Sheffield Wednesday v. Ipswich Town on Wednesday 10 March, but didn't enjoy it (the Tractor Boys lost 1-0).
- PJ Harvey, #3. Recorded 1993-03-02. 'Naked Cousin' & 'Wang Dang Doodle' available on The Peel Sessions 1991-2004 (Island).
- Oil Seed Rape, one and only session. Recorded 1993-03-09. No known commercial release.
Files 1 & a begin at start of show.
- Small: He Who Cannot Be Bathed
- dcBasehead Split Personality (album - Not In Kansas Anymore) Imago 72787 21023 2
- Sonic Youth: Personality Crisis (single - Sugar Kane) Geffen
- Oil Seed Rape: Keel Haul (session)
- X-103: Curse Of The Gods (12" - Thera EP) Treso
- PJ Harvey: Primed And Ticking (session)
- Bikini Kill: Jigsaw Youth (split album with Huggy Bear - Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah / Our Troubled Youth) Kill Rock Stars
(namecheck for Ken Garner)
File a ends and b begins
- Arcwelder: What Did You Call It That For?
- Lightnin' Hopkins: Wang Dang Doodle (ahead of PJ Harvey session cover version)
- Fun-Da-Mental: Wrath Of The Blackman
File 1 ends
File 2 begins
- Fall: Why Are People Grudgeful? (new single first play)
- Oil Seed Rape: Rib Donor (session)
- Horns: Jesus Fuck (7" EP - The Bunny Ritual EP) Psycho Mania PMR 009 played at 33 instead of 45
- Militia: Electro-static (12" - Sleeping With The Enemy) Trance Fusion TF 501
- 32: Wedding Present, 'Octopussy (CD-Seamonsters)' (RCA)
- PJ Harvey: 'Claudine The Inflatable One' (Peel Session)
- Bobby Sisco: Honky-Tonkin' Rhythm (v/a CD Get With The Beat: The Mar-Vel' Masters) Rykodisc – RCD 20126
File b ends and c begins
- Nectarine Nº9: 'She's A Nicer Word To Sing (CD-A Sea With Three Stars)' (Postcard)
- God Is My Co-Pilot: 'Anyone But You (CD-Speed Yr Trip)' (The Making Of Americans)
- Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps: 'The Night Is So Lonely (LP-Gene Sings Vincent '57-'59)' (Capitol)
- Peyote: 'Alcatraz (12")' (R&S)
- (JP: "Pulp, despite what you may believe from reading the papers, have not just suddenly appeared out of the blue. They've been around for at least a decade.")
File 2 ends
File 3 begins
- (JP: "A note here from Jean Nouelle, who's Diblo Dibala's earthly representative in London, and he says, 'Dear John, I've brought you a copy of O.K. Madame, Diblo's new release he sent for you. Listen to the track entitled Matchatcha Wetu, dedicated to Andy and you.' Well, I have listened to it once and it does mention the BBC at one stage, but I may have got that wrong. Listen to it yourself and see what you think.")
- Diblo Dibala et le Groupe Matchatcha: 'Matchatcha Wetu (LP-O.K. Madame)' (Afric Music)
- Oil Seed Rape: 'Nil By Mouth' (Peel Session)
- (JP: "As advertised about an hour ago....")
- PJ Harvey: 'Wang Dang Doodle' (Peel Session)
- New Order: 'Regret (Fire Island Mix) (CDS-Regret)' (London)
File c ends
- 1 a.m. news - File 3 only
File d begins
- St Johnny: 'My Father's Father (LP-High As A Kite)' (Rough Trade)
- Junior Reid & Dennis Brown: 'Dance Nah Keep (7")' (Greensleeves)
- (JP: "If there's anybody listening at Peel Acres, the phone seems to be off the hook.")
- Tindersticks: 'Marbles (10")' (Tippy Toe / Ché Trading)
- Little Walter: 'Sad Hours (CD-Blues With A Feeling)' (Blues Encore)
File 3 ends
File 4 begins
- Fall: 'Glam Racket (12"-Why Are People Grudgeful?)' (Cog Sinister via Permanent)
- Fall: 'The Re-Mixer (12"-Why Are People Grudgeful?)' (Cog Sinister via Permanent)
- Fall: 'Lost In Music (12"-Why Are People Grudgeful?)' (Cog Sinister via Permanent)
- Nico(2): 'Darkstar (12")' (ESP)
- Oil Seed Rape: 'Comb' (Peel Session)
- Ukrainians: 'Rospryahaite (CD-Vorony)' (Cooking Vinyl)
File d ends
File e begins
- Guided By Voices: 'Break Even (7" EP-The Grand Hour)' (Scat)
- Pliers: 'Give Me Jahovia (7” b/w Jah Mike: ‘Humble Yourself’)' (Studio 1)
- (JP reads out a letter from PJ Harvey about the session: “I wrote these ones especially for the session as I didn’t want to just use regurgitated album material again. I hope you like them, or at least smile a bit as you listen to them.”)
- PJ Harvey: 'Naked Cousin' (Peel Session)
- Huggy Bear: 'Aqua Girl Star / February 14th (shared LP with Bikini Kill - Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah / Our Troubled Youth)' (Kill Rock Stars)
Files 4 and e end at show conclusion
- File 1) jp19930313a.mp3 (Note files misdated)
- File 2) jp19930313b.mp3
- File 3) jp19930313c.mp3
- File 4) jp19930313d.mp3
- a) L346a
- b) L346b
- c) 1993-03-12 JP L357a
- d) 1993-03-12 JP L357b
- e) 1993-03-12 JP L356
- File 1) 00:45.48
- File 2) 00:45.28
- File 3) 00:44.59
- File 4) 00:46.36
- a) 00:46:34 (from 00:16:01)
- b) 00:40:54
- c) 00:44:43
- d) 00:40:28
- e) 00:17:44
- Files 1-4: (Jim) To my ears, constant bit rate always sounds better than variable, and Fraunhofer superior to Lame, so for those who care about the technicalities, here's the processing lineage. TDK-AR90 > Tascam 112MKIII casstte deck > Roland UA-30 external soundcard > soundforge 7 > 44.1KHz 16-bit wav > dBpoweramp Reference > 224 kbps cbr mp3 (Franhofer IIS codec. Shared via Peel Mailing List. Many thanks to Jim!
- File a,b) created from L346 of the SL Tapes, digitised by Roger.
- Files c) & d) created from L357 of the SL Tapes, digitised by ML.
- File e) created from L356 of the SL Tapes, digitised by ML.