- BBC One (TV)
- This was the first program hosted by David Jensen and John Peel during 1983, the pair going on to cement their partnership by making regular appearances during the year. This was the week's singles chart.
- Hello we’re on a five pound a man bonus for wearing these hats. Welcome to another TOTP. We’re the Burke and Hare of British broadcasting. I’m John, he’s the likeable Canadian.
- Ethnic boys, ethnic. That’s a Bolivian fisherman’s wedding song by Incantation, or ‘Incantathion’ as the Gauchos call them back home on the pampas. Now we go with Men At Work from Australia.
- Well if she scratched your back I don’t think you’d live to tell the tale, frankly.
- Jensen : John, I think I’ll let you introduce this next act ‘cause I know they’re important to you, you play them a lot on your show. Peel : This has meant a lot to me, I must admit. This is a very important moment of my life really. Keith Harris & Orville.
- That’s one of the very best things since Napoleon’s retreat from Moscow. Keith Harris & Orville. Orville was the one in the woolly hat incidentally. Up next on TOTP, we’ve got The Belle Stars!
- And now as a special novelty we're going to have a chart rundown... An LP rundown!
- …and now at No.17 in the charts, happy birthday William, this is the theme music from ‘E.T.’
- They look like a gang of debt collectors that lot! Those were The Maisonettes at No.15 in the charts. And now, because I’m the senior partner in this partnership, I get to read out the Top 10.
- Well as you can imagine viewers, Kid and myself are a bit disappointed that Renee and Renato are no longer at No.1…
- Next week’s TOTP will be introduced by a couple more people who have been sent up from the job centre... Gary Davies and Janice Long.
- Jensen : I think we’d better say goodnight John. Peel : Goodnight John.
- Incantation – Cacharpaya (Andes Pumpsa Desi) (14 in the chart as of the date of broadcast)
- Men At Work – Down Under (7) (video)
- Sharon Redd – In The Name Of Love (53)
- Keith Harris and Orville – Orville’s Song (4) (repeat from 23 December 1982)
- The Belle Stars – Sign Of The Times (51)
- John Williams – Theme From E.T. (17) (film clips)
- Eddy Grant – Electric Avenue (22) (video)
- The Maisonettes – Heartache Avenue (15)
- Phil Collins – You Can’t Hurry Love (1) (video)
- Donna Summer – I Feel Love (21) (audience dancing / credits)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.