- Second of four long-lost shows featuring the 1978 Festive Fifty.
- The tracklisting is also available at John Peel Papers. Many thanks to the uploader to John Peel Papers at Facebook for sharing the information. Scan (misdated)
(JP: "Some tracks from some of the best sessions of the year.)
- Steel Pulse #2 First broadcast 27 April 1978. Recorded 1978-04-04.
- X-Ray Spex #1 First broadcast 06 March 1978. Recorded 1978-02-20.
- X-Ray Spex: I Am a Poseur (session)
- Buzzcocks: Noise Annoys (session)
- Steel Pulse: Macka Splaff (session)
- X-Ray Spex: Art-I-Ficial (session)
- Buzzcocks: Walking Distance (session)
- Steel Pulse: Handsworth Revolution (session)
- X-Ray Spex: Identity (session)
- Buzzcocks: Late for the Train (session)
- (JP: "When the Buzzcocks recorded this session for us on the 10th of April, under the sweaty hand of Tony Wilson, I must confess I thought it was rather limp, but hearing it go out again today it sounds rather good to me.")
- Steel Pulse: Jah Pickney - R.A.R. (session)
- (Referred to as ""Jah Pickney Know Them" [...] "Rock Against Racism" as well, an alternative title for you if you like. ... [This year] a lot of the reggae bands we got in to do sessions for us [but not Steel Pulse] turned out rather, kind of, middle of the road stuff in a sense, hope they don't do that in 1979.")
- X-Ray Spex: "Genetic Engineering" (session)
- 40. Stranglers: "London Lady" (LP - Rattus Norvegicus, 1977) United Artists
- 39. Who: My Generation (7", 1965) Brunswick
- (JP: "The only elderly record which wasn't in the Festive Fifty in 1976 but is now. Yet another example, if you like, of your superior judgement.")
- 38. Siouxsie & The Banshees: "Overground" [album version] (LP - The Scream, 1978) Polydor
- 37. Elvis Costello: Alison (LP - My Aim Is True, 1977) Stiff (played from the 7" single)
- 36. Bob Dylan: Like a Rolling Stone (LP - Highway 61 Revisited, 1965) Columbia (#10 in 1976)
- 35. Motors: Dancing the Night Away [album version] Virgin (#1 in 1977)
- 34. Siouxsie & The Banshees: Helter Skelter (LP - The Scream, 1978) Polydor (version played is a clean radio promo, with rerecorded, not muted, vocals)
- 33. Stranglers: No More Heroes (LP - No More Heroes, 1977) United Artists
- 32. Stranglers: Hanging Around (LP - Rattus Norvegicus, 1977) United Artists
- 31. Derek & The Dominoes: Layla [album version] (LP - Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs, 1970) Polydor (#2 in 1976)
- 30. Buzzcocks: Moving Away from the Pulsebeat (LP - Another Music In A Different Kitchen, 1978) United Artists
- 29. Pink Floyd: Shine On You Crazy Diamond [parts I - V] (LP - Wish You Were Here, 1975) Harvest (#8 in 1976) ("Still nice that it's in there, in my view.")
- 28. Dire Straits: Sultans of Swing [album version] (LP - Dire Straits, 1978) Vertigo
- (JP: "I was a trifle surprised to discover this at 28. [...] Surprised but pleased.")
- 27. Ian Dury: Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll (7", 1977) Stiff
- 26. Bruce Springsteen: Born to Run (LP - Born to Run, 1975) Columbia
- (JP: "I'm enjoying this a lot, me, I hope you are. People shaking their heads all over the country, soft swish of falling dandruff.")
- Peel 78 part 2.mp3
- Shared via Peel Newsgroup. Many thanks to Bill!
- 168,674 kB; 192 kbps
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.