The Donkeys were a power pop band from Wakefield, West Yorkshire. They comprised Neil Ferguson (lead guitar, vocals), Dave Owen (bass, backing vocals), Mark Welham (drums) and Tony Ferguson (rhythm guitar, backing vocals). The group released five singles between the years 1979 and 1981 but split before recording an LP.
Links to Peel
Peel gave the group's debut single ("What I Want") several plays in the summer of 1979. He saw the band play live when they supported the Undertones at the Marquee Club in London in August 1979 . However, it does not appear that he played any of their subsequent singles on his programme, although his Radio One colleague Mike Read reportedly did.
Festive Fifty Entries
Other Shows Played
The list below was researched only from the database of this site and Lorcan's Tracklistings Archive and may be incomplete. Please add further information if known.
- 13 June 1979: Four Letters (b-side 'What I Want' 7") Rhesus
- 17 July 1979: What I Want (7") Rhesus
- 21 July 1979 (BFBS): What I Want (7") Rhesus
- 23 July 1979: What I Want (7") Rhesus
- 25 July 1979: What I Want (7") Rhesus GO APE 2
- 01 August 1979: Four Letters (7" - What I Want) Rhesus GO APE 2
- 14 August 1979: What I Want (7") Rhesus