Electronic was an alternative dance supergroup formed by New Order singer and guitarist Bernard Sumner and ex-Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr. They co-wrote the majority of their output between 1989 and 1998, collaborating with Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe, of the Pet Shop Boys, on three tracks in their early years, and former Kraftwerk member Karl Bartos on nine songs in 1995.
Links To Peel
Peel initially played the group's debut single, 'Getting Away With It', which reached number 12 in the UK Singles chart in 1989. However on his Peel 126 (BFBS) show broadcast on 16th December 1989 from BFBS, he called the track:
"More than a trifle simpering, you may be thinking to yourselves... a historical curiosity."Further materials from the band were rarely played by Peel, except when listeners voted their track 'Get The Message' at number 40 in the 1991 Festive Fifty, which was broadcast in 1993 after it was abandoned at the end of 1991 because of lack of voters.
Festive Fifty Entries
- 1991 Festive Fifty: Get The Message #40
- 30 November 1989: Getting Away With It... (7") Factory
- 16 December 1989 (BFBS) (Peel 126 (BFBS)): 'Getting Away With It (7")' (Factory)
- 09 January 1990: Getting Away With It (12") Factory
- 12 February 1993: Get The Message (DNA Groove Mix) (12" - Get The Message (DNA Remixes)) Factory FAC287r (Phantom Fifty #41)