Ellery Bop were a 1980s indie rock band with Liverpool and Irish roots. The band toured infrequently (with Killing Joke) but recorded several sessions for the BBC with John Peel and Janice Long. A John Peel session was recorded live at the London I.C.A. The band claimed bands such as MC5, The Stooges, Ramones, Heartbreakers and The Clash as their influences.
(Read more at Wikipedia.)
Links to Peel
“An excellent band which seems to be by and large overlooked.”
(John Peel, 07 December 1982, before playing three Ellery Bop singles in a row)
As part of the cluster of bands that emerged from Liverpool’s Eric’s club from the late 1970s, Ellery Bop benefitted from Peel’s enthusiastic support for music from his favourite city, with three sessions recorded between 1981 and 1983, although the band never made an album or achieved the chart success of their contemporaries. The shifting lineups for their Peel sessions included Ian Broudie (previously Big In Japan), Rob Jones (Wah) and Tim Whittaker (Deaf School).
In autumn 1984, the band performed on the final night of a Peel-selected ICA Rock Week, with their set later broadcast on his show.
Festive Fifty Entries
Three sessions. No known commercial release.
- Fight And Desire / Ringing / Sharp Star Rising
- Jihad / Imperial Way / 51st State / Guilt
- Above The World / Scream To Touch / Ourselves Alone / Twisted
- Red Front
- One Girl
- A Chance
- Torn Apart
Other Shows Played
- 01 September 1981: Hit The Moon (7") Base Ideas
- 03 September 1981 (BFBS): Hit The Moon (7") Base BASE 001
- 23 February 1982: unknown (lyrics no need to be slow)
- 28 February 1982 (BFBS): Ringing (7") Base Ideas BASE 002
- 28 March 1982 (BFBS): Ringing (7") Base Ideas BASE 002
- 14 October 1982: We Deny (single) Base Ideas
- 27 October 1982 (BFBS): We Deny (7") Base Ideas
- 07 December 1982: Hit The Moon (7") Base Ideas
- 07 December 1982: Ringing (7") Base Ideas
- 07 December 1982: We Deny (7") Base Ideas
- 17 September 1983 (BFBS): We Deny (7") Base Ideas
- 21 November 1983 (BBC World Service): Jihad (12" EP - In Reflection) Desire
- 24 November 1983: Blind (12" EP - Fire In Reflection) Desire
- 28 November 1983 (BBC World Service): The Calling (12" EP - In Reflection) Desire
- 21 December 1983 (BFBS): Jihad (12" - Fire In Reflection) Desire WANT X 2