Fflaps were a Welsh post-punk group in the late 1980s and early 1990s, formed in Bangor, Wales. The band comprised vocalist and guitarist Ann Matthews, bassist Alan Holmes and drummer Jonny Evans. Between their formation in 1987 and split in 1992, they released three albums and an EP, recorded two Peel Sessions (in 1988 and 1990), and toured Europe extensively. The band's songs were in the Welsh language. Matthews and Holmes later formed Ectogram.
Links to Peel
Fflaps caught the ear of John Peel who let them record two sessions for his show. According to vocalist Ann Matthews on the link2wales website, she mentioned that Peel's producer, John Walters rang her to invite the band to do their first session:
"John Walters [Peel’s producer] rang me up,’ explains Ann. ‘He didn’t mention the language, but that Peel really liked the EP Anhrefn [Records] put out. We were a little naughty because we did a cover of Peel’s favourite Slits song… it worked a treat."
Two years later, the band were invited to do their second session, by which time John Peel had decided he didn’t really like their new material very much (it was producer John Walters that offered them their second session). Between the two sessions, the group had toured extensively around the UK and mainland Europe.
- Pethu Piws / Llosg Llech / Y Dyn Bun / Blodyn Tatws
2. Recorded: 1990-06-19. Broadcast: 01 August 1990
- Malltod / Rhowch Hi I'r Belgwyr / Hyll Eto / Arwyr Duwiol
Other Shows Played
- 23 November 1987: Cariad & Rhamant (7" - Untitled EP) Anhrefn
- 11 December 1987 (BFBS): 'Esgob Mawr (Great Bishop) (7"-Untitled EP)' (Recordiau Anhrefn)
- 21 December 1987: Chwildroi'n Gam (7" - Untitled EP) Recordiau Anhrefn
- 06 January 1988: Chwildroi'n Gam (7" - Untitled EP) Recordiau Anhrefn
- 08 November 1988: Chwildroi'n Gam (v/a cassette - Burning Down The Chapels / Yr Ysbryd Yn Y Bag Cysgu) Central Slate
- 25 November 1988 (BFBS): 'Dyn Gwiail (Wicker Man) (LP-Amhersain)' (Probe Plus)
- 28 November 1988: Mynegai Mynor (album - Amhersain) Probe Plus
- 20 December 1988 (BFBS): Mynegai Mynor (album - Amhersain) Probe Plus
- 03 January 1989: Dyn Gwiail (LP - Amhersain) Probe Plus
- 13 January 1989 (BFBS): 'Amhersain (LP-Amhersain)' (Probe Plus)
- 17 January 1989 (Radio Bremen): Dyn Gwiail (album - Amhersain) Probe Plus
- Sesiynau Cymraeg John Peel: Rhowch Hi I'r Belgwyr (Peel Session)