Holle Holle were a Bhangra band, formed in the late 80's in the UK by producer Deepak Khazanchi and Manjeet Kondal (vocalist). The act were one of the first to introduce synthesizers and even saxophones in Bhangra music, whose origins come from the region of Punjab, which is divided between India and Pakistan. After the 80's, the band dismantled itself and Deepak Khazanchi and Manjeet Kondal continued their music careers and collaborations with other artists.
Links to Peel
Peel started playing Bhangra music around 1987, with acts such as Malkit Singh, Premi and Alaap being played frequently on his show, but during that year, Peel started to have an interest in Holle Holle, who introduced the uniqueness of saxophones and synthesizers in their Bhangra music, which enabled Peel to invite the group for a session. Holle Holle, Premi and Tigerstyle are the only Bhangra acts to have a Peel session.
- Patli Patang / Pind Na Challia / Ankhaa Tunai Haar / Holle Holle
Other Shows Played
(The list below was compiled only from the database of this site)
- 20 July 1987: Ishkan De Mamle Chal Pind Nu Chaliye (v/a LP - Deepak Kumar Khazanchi Presents Remixes Of Heera, Kalapreet, Holle Holle - Bhangra Fever (Compilation Vol. 1)) Arishma
- August (No. 2) 1987 (BBC World Service): Ishkan De Mamle / Chal Pind Nu Chaliye (LP Var.: Bhangra Fever Vol. 1) Arishma (only announced, not on tape)
- 18 August 1987: Holle Holle (Deepak & Peter Ware Remix) (v/a LP - Bhangra Fever Vol. 1) Arishma
- 09 September 1987: Holle Holle (v/a LP - Deepak Kumar Khazanchi Presents Remixes Of Heera, Kalapreet, Holle Holle - Bhangra Fever (Compilation Vol. 1)) Arishma
- 01 August 1988: 'A-A-A Gale Laaj (LP-Wicked & Wild)' (Arishma)
- 03 August 1988: Chup Kar Ke (album - Wicked & Wild) Arishma ARI 0106
- 21 September 1988: Heer Saleti (LP - Wicked & Wild) Arishma