- (This page refers to the American comic duo: for the UK reggae duo, see Laurel And Hardy (2))
Links To PeelOne of the most successful, Way Out West, included a song based around the popular tune On The Trail Of The Lonesome Pine and backed by Chill Wills & the Avalon Boys, which became a surprise Christmas hit at the end of 1975 following a single release on United Artists, due in no small part to its repeated plays by Peel ("A record which I'm very disappointed to see is still nobody's record of the week, but it could easily be ours." ). It reached number 2 in the UK charts, and John placed it at 14 in his top fifteen of the year on 19 December 1975. The song was also covered by Viv Stanshall in a Peel session of October 1975.
In 1998, the programme of the Meltdown arts festival curated by Peel featured Dutch revivalist ensemble Beau Hunks playing Laurel And Hardy film music.
Festive Fifty Entries
- 03 November 1975: 'The Trail Of The Lonesome Pine (7")' (United Artists)
- 20 November 1975: 'The Trail Of The Lonesome Pine (7")' (United Artists)
- 19 December 1975: 'The Trail Of The Lonesome Pine (7")' (United Artists) (JP: 'The fact that that is currently number two in the BBC charts indicates to me at least that there is still some hope left for mankind.')
- 09 November 2000: Bed Strings (v/a CD - Novelty Songs 1914-1946 Crazy & Obscure) Trikont