The Men They Couldn't Hang (TMTCH) are a British folk punk group founded in 1984. The original group consisted of Stefan Cush (Vocals, Guitar), Paul Simmonds (Guitar, Bouzouki, Mandolin, Keyboards), Philip "Swill" Odgers (Vocals, Guitar, Tin Whistle, Melodica), Jon Odgers (Drums, Percussion) and Shanne Bradley (Bass Guitar). The band split in 1991 and reformed in 1996 minus drummer Jon Odgers who had become Therapy?'s drum technician.
Links to Peel
According to an interview with One Two Testing magazine, published in 1985, Peel mentioned discovering the band when he saw their tape on John Walters' desk and liked the name.  The group did three sessions for his show and their first single, The Green Fields of France, finished at number 3 in the 1984 Festive Fifty. After the 80's, Peel seemed to have lost interest in the band and rarely played their music on his programmes.
Festive Fifty Entries
- Walkin' Talkin' / The Men They Couldn't Hang / The Green Fields Of France / Boy Named Sue
- The Ironmasters / Night To Remember / Scarlet Ribbons / Donald Where's Your Trousers?
3. Recorded: 1985-07-16. Broadcast: 24 July 1985
- Shirt Of Blue / Where Have All The Flowers Gone? / Greenback Dollar / Kingdom Come
Recorded at ICA Rock Week: 1984-10-06. Broadcast: 17 December 1984
- Walkin', Talkin'
- The Men They Couldn't Hang
- The Day After
Other Shows Played
- 16 October 1984: The Green Fields Of France (7") Imp
- 01 January 1985: 'Green Fields Of France (No Man's Land) (7 inch)' (Imp Records) FF #03
- 11 March 1985: Whiskey In Me Giro (v/a album - Don't Let The Hope Close Down) Hope Springs
- Peel 007 (BFBS): 'Whiskey In Me Giro (Compilation LP-Don't Let The Hope Close Down)' (Hope Springs)
- 01 April 1985: 'Whiskey In Me Giro (Compilation LP-Don't Let The Hope Close Down)' (Hope Springs)
- 11 June 1985: Ironmasters (7") Imp IMP 005
- 23 June 1985 (BFBS): Ironmasters (7") Imp IMP 005
- 25 June 1985: Ironmasters (7") Imp IMP 005
- Peel 014 (BFBS): 'The Day After (LP-Night Of A Thousand Candles)' (Imp)
- 23 July 1985: Johnny Come Home (LP - Night Of A Thousand Candles) Imp
- Peel 015 (BFBS): 'Johnny Come Home (LP-Night Of A Thousand Candles)' (Imp)
- 23 December 1985: Ironmasters (7") Imp FF #11
- 10 February 1986: The Bells (v/a 7" - MM Vinyl Conflict 1) Melody Maker
- 15 February 1986 (BFBS): 'The Bells (v/a 7"-MM Vinyl Conflict 1)' (Melody Maker)
- 17 February 1986: The Bells (v/a 7" - MM Vinyl Conflict 1) Melody Maker
- 29 May 1987 (BFBS): 'Ghosts Of Cable Street (7")' (MCA)