Links To Peel
Peel saw the band perform at the Pink Pop Festival in the Netherlands in June 1979. He was suitably impressed with their performance to book them to record a session for the show, which they did in July 1979. However in later years Peel seemed to have regrets at inviting the band for a session, as he thought the group's music was too safe and not challenging enough. On Peeling Back The Years 4 (Transcript) in 1987 when talking to John Walters, he mentioned:
"... we only barely had the Police – after I’d seen them playing in a concert in Holland and they’d played particularly well, and they I think would still argue that it was perhaps their best ever gig, so I was rather carried away with that."
Walters recalled the circumstances somewhat differently:
"The Police were another of my big regrets. They'd been on at Peel for ages, buying him pints of lager and so forth and eventually he succumbed and they did a session, but for me it was retro. It wasn't the sort of sound you wanted to hear on the Peel show. You knew it would probably be very popular and sell millions but it wasn't right for us." (Q Magazine, Art For Art's Sake, p.11.)During the session, the band recorded, as a standalone number, a part of their song "Can't Stand Losing You" that they only performed in concert. That piece of music was subsequently reworked as the title-track of their second album "Reggatta de Blanc".
The Police also played at the Reading Festival in August 1979, for which Peel acted as the compere.
One and only session. No known commercial release.
- This Bed's Too Big Without You / Message In A Bottle / Next To You / Can't Stand Losing You ('the Bit We Left Out') (JP: "Those were the Police and the bit they left out of Can't Stand Losing You. Perhaps they should have included it in the 12" disco version, if there was such a thing - in red vinyl of course.")
Other Shows Played
(The following list was compiled only from the database of this site, Lorcan's Tracklistings Archive and Ken Garner's Peel Sessions (pg218, 220), and is certainly incomplete. Please add further details if known.)
- 25 May 1977: 'Fall Out (7")' (Illegal)
- 01 May 1978: 'Roxanne (7")' (A&M)
- 05 June 1979: 'Born In The 50s (LP-Outlandos d'Amour)' (A&M)
- 27 November 1979: 'Fall Out (7")' (Illegal)
Top Of The Pops
- 05 May 1983 (TOTP): Spirits In The Material World (clip)
- 08 June 1983 (TOTP): Every Breath You Take #01
- 23 June 1983 (TOTP): Every Breath You Take #01
- 04 August 1983 (TOTP): Wrapped Around Your Finger #07