New singles which were received by the pirate station Radio London and approved of by the station's programme director were featured in the station's playlist for at least one week, and referred to by the DJs as "Radio London Climbers". The station prided itself on being several weeks ahead of the national charts, so some "climbers" appeared on the playlist before their official release. Many of them made the Radio London Fab Forty, some of these later appeared in the official pop charts, while others failed to make any impression.
Every week, one climber bore the name of each Radio London DJ. Sometimes this was because the DJ in question liked the record and chose it himself, but on other occasions records would be "allocated" to him by the station. The list of John Peel Climbers below demonstrates this. Many titles are by artists Peel is known to have liked, but some are by acts he had little enthusiasm for (Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Jan and Dean) and a few are very obscure (the Montanas, Gates of Eden, the Marquis of Kensington).
John Peel Climbers
This list was compiled with the help of the Field's Fab Forty section of the Radio London website, which contains a huge amount of information on the records and artists played on the station, in addition to comprehensive chart listings. For more detail on a particular week, click on one of the dates given below in the Fab Forty Index.
The chart of 6 August 1967 was the final one before the station closed down.
- March 1967
- Montanas: Ciao Baby (climber of week beginning 12-03-1967)
- Jan & Dean: Yellow Balloon (19-03-67)
- Gates Of Eden: One To Seven (26-03-1967)
- April 1967
- Gary Lewis & the Playboys: The Loser (With A Broken Heart) (02-04-1967)
- Denny Laine: Say You Don't Mind (09-04-1967) Deram
- Living Daylights: Let's Live For Today (16-04-1967)
- Parade: Sunshine Girl (23-04-1967)
- Moody Blues: Fly Me High (30-04-1967)
- May 1967
- Jefferson Airplane: Somebody To Love (07-05-1967) RCA
- Traffic: Paper Sun (14-05-1967) Island
- Marquis Of Kensington: The Changing Of The Guard (21-05-1967)
- Pink Floyd: See Emily Play (28-05-1967)
- June 1967
- John Mayall's Bluesbreakers: I'm Your Witchdoctor (04-06-1967) Immediate
- Monkees: Alternate Title (11-06-1967) RCA
- Action: Shadows And Reflections (18-06-1967) Parlophone
- Doors: Light My Fire (25-06-1967) Elektra
- July 1967
- Jeff Beck: Tallyman (02-07-1967) EMI Columbia
- Jet Harris: My Lady (09-07-1967)
- Nirvana(2): Tiny Goddess (16-07-1967) Island
- Peanut Butter Conspiracy: It's A Happening Thing (23-07-1967) CBS
- Moby Grape: Omaha (30-07-1967) CBS
- August 1967
- Jimi Hendrix Experience: The Burning Of The Midnight Lamp (06-08-1967)