Links To Peel
In late 1986, Peel managed to get a hold of Chinese cover version records after visiting the BFBS at HMS Tamar in Hong Kong. One of the records included Sally Yeh, who did a cover of Madonna's Material Girl called 200 Degrees, which Peel often played. The Chinese lyrics of 200 Degrees were slightly different from Madonna's version, which had the Chinese translation of:
"I get the itches when the temperature rises / The weather situation gets worse and worse / And my body explodes at 200 degrees."
Sally Yeh is married to George Lam, a singer and actor, who Peel played some tracks of in the 80's and 90's.
- 25 November 1986: 200 Degrees (200度) (LP - My Love Goodnight (長夜) WEA
- 06 December 1986 (BFBS) (Peel 046 (BFBS)): 200度 (200 Degrees) (LP-長夜 (My Love Goodnight) WEA (JP: 'What an awe-inspiring record that is!...Now that I've sort of got the contacts there, I shall be able to get records like that on a fairly regular basis. If there are regular cover versions of things in Cantonese, or indeed in any other language, I shall be the man to play them, for sure. My idea of a good time, definitely.')
- 18 December 1986 (Andy Kershaw): 200 Degrees (200度) (LP - My Love Goodnight (長夜) WEA
- 14 May 1988 (BFBS): 200 Degrees (200度) (LP - My Love Goodnight (長夜) WEA (Cantonese cover of Madonna's Material Girl)
- 15 September 1991: 衝動 (Impulse) [LP - 甜言蜜語 ('Sweet Honeyed Words')] WEA
- 06 October 1991: 海旁獨唱 ('La Isla Bonita') (CD - 甜言蜜語 ('Sweet Honeyed Words')) WEA
- 18 October 1991 (BFBS): 海旁獨唱 ('La Isla Bonita') (CD - 甜言蜜語 ('Sweet Honeyed Words')) WEA