The Shangri-Las were an American pop girl group of the 1960s. Between 1964 and 1966 they charted with teen melodramas, and remain especially known for their hits "Leader of the Pack", "Remember (Walking in the Sand)" and "Give Him a Great Big Kiss." The group was formed at Andrew Jackson High School in Cambria Heights, a neighborhood in Queens, New York City, in 1963. They were two sets of sisters: Mary Weiss (lead singer) (born December 28, 1948) and Elizabeth "Betty" Weiss (born November 27, 1946), and identical twins Marguerite "Marge"/"Margie" Ganser (February 4, 1948 – July 28, 1996) and Mary Ann Ganser (February 4, 1948 – March 14, 1970).
Links to Peel
In Margrave Of The Marshes, Peel mentions having seen the Shangri-Las perform whilst he was living in America during the Sixties. It's fair to assume that he would have played their records during his time as a radio DJ in Oklahoma City and San Bernardino. Upon his return to the UK he would occasionally play their material, and selected their track 'Remember (Walking In The Sand)' as one of his Peelenium 1964 picks.
- Peelenium 1964: Remember (Walking In The Sand)
- 02 August 1978: Remember (Walking In The Sand) (LP - Charlie's Angels) Charlie
- 30 July 1981: Sophisticated Boom Boom
- 26 December 1983: Remember (Walking In The Sand)
- 25 March 1987: Past Present And Future (v/a 2xLP - The Red Bird Story) Charly
- 11 January 1988: Remember (Walking In The Sand)
- 20 July 1999: Hate To Say I Told You So (CD – Where The Girls Are, Vol. 2) Ace
- 29 July 1999 (Radio Eins): Hate To Say I Told You So (CD - Where The Girls Are Vol. 2) Ace
- 27 October 1999: 'Remember (Walkin' In The Sand) (7")' (Red Bird) Peelenium 1964
- 20 October 2004: Leader of the Pack (LP - The Best of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Years Vol.2) EMI+BBC