The Velvelettes were an American singing girl group, signed to Motown, best known for their singles "Needle In a Haystack" (1964) and "He Was Really Sayin' Somethin'" (1965).
(Read more at Wikipedia.)
Links to Peel
The Velvelettes single "Needle In a Haystack" was a long-time Peel favourite, selected by the DJ for the Peelenium 1964 and his 2002 mix album FabricLive.07. In 2003, when the track was chosen by Nick Hornby for a book about 31 songs with particular emotional resonance for him, Peel noted that it was the only one of the writer's picks that would have been on his own list:
“I think Nick Hornby and I would agree that you should hear it as soon as you possibly can. Trust us. And don't talk while it's playing."
Festive Fifty Entries
- Peelenium 1964: 'Needle In A Haystack'
- 17 March 1972: Needle In A Haystack (single) Tamla Motown
- 26 November 1979: (JP: "These are the Velvelettes, an oldie but goodie. No reason for playing it at all, other than the fact that it exists really.")
- Needle In A Haystack (7") V.I.P.
- 13 August 1981: He Was Really Saying Something
- 22 June 1982: He Was Really Sayin' Somethin' () Tamla Motown
- 28 May 1984: He Was Really Saying Something