Willie Hugh Nelson (born April 29, 1933) is an American musician, singer, songwriter, author, poet, actor, and activist. The critical success of the album Shotgun Willie (1973), combined with the critical and commercial success of Red Headed Stranger (1975) and Stardust (1978), made Nelson one of the most recognized artists in country music. He was one of the main figures of outlaw country, a subgenre of country music that developed in the late 1960s as a reaction to the conservative restrictions of the Nashville sound. Nelson has acted in over 30 films, co-authored several books, and has been involved in activism for the use of biofuels and the legalization of marijuana.
Links to Peel
On his 11 February 1986 show, Peel dedicated a Willie Nelson record to Andy Kershaw after they along with Janice Long were discussing the merits of Willie Nelson. He continued to say that he used to listen to Touch Me by Willie Nelson when he was living in Dallas, America in the 60's. Also in the same year, Peel often played a track from the Sewer Zombies, called 'They Died With Their Willie Nelson T-Shirts On.'
Peel mentioned that when he saw the tracklistings of the House Of Love's album and saw the title Touch Me on his 01 June 1988 show, he thought it maybe a cover of Willie Nelson's track, but was sadly disappointed that it wasn't. Nonetheless, he thought House Of Pain's Touch Me was not a bad track.
- 24 May 1973: Me And Paul (LP – Me And Paul) Columbia
- 31 May 1973: Yesterday’s Wine
- 03 July 1973: Sad Songs And Waltzes (LP – Shotgun Willie) Atlantic
- 11 February 1986: Touch Me (LP - ... And Then I Wrote) Liberty
- 28 October 1986: Bloody Mary Morning (2xLP - Willie And Family Live) Columbia
- 02 December 1994: Touch Me (LP - Hello Walls) Sunset Records
- 18 February 1997: ‘Touch Me (7 inch)’ Liberty
- 15 December 1998: Your Memory Won't Die In My Grave (LP – Spirit) Island
- 17 December 1998: I Guess I've Come To Live Here In Your Eyes (CD - Spirit) Island
- 20 December 1998 (BFBS): 'Your Memory Won't Die In My Grave (CD-Spirit)' (Island)
- 21 June 2000: 'Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain (Compilation CD-Country Number Ones Volume 4)' (Old Gold)
- March 2002 (FSK): Touch Me
- 21 August 2002: Your Memory Won't Die In My Grave (LP - Spirit) Island
- 05 September 2002 (Radio Mafia): Your Memory Won't Die In My Grave
- Jerry Wexler: Soul Man: I Still Can't Believe You're Gone